Thursday, December 13, 2007

How to NOT be a rock star

One of my favourite bands has an amazing drummer that can recover from a broken stick so smoothly that it's almost an art. I had never broken a drum stick before so I thought to myself, "If I ever break a stick, I'm gonna make it look cool just like him!" Now before I continue further with this, let me back up a pinch.

Angela and I haven't been "looking" for a new church to call home, we've simply been waiting on God for some answers and in the meantime, been hanging out with fellow believers at various church gatherings. Mark Carroll and I had agreed that it had been far too long since we'd played together, so I made a short term commitment to drumming for him on Saturday nights at Cedar Grove.

After briefly acquainting myself with the new drum kit and making a few minor adjustments, our music practice was off to a quick start. And then, it happened. Halfway into the first song, my stick broke! Pausing only for a nanosecond, I tossed the stick into the air while reaching for a new one, and in a flurry of chipped wood, waving hands and consistent tempo, I had made a full and seamless recovery......this is what should've happened.

In actuality, I stared in awe and disbelief at the splintered and bent drum stick and then slowly proceeded to fumble about for a new one, all the while completely messing up the rhythm. All this was followed by uncontrollable giggling. I learned something that evening. I am not a rock star, I am a servant of Christ, the kind of servant that stumbles frequently but is preserved by grace. I believe that when we fall flat on our faces, God takes those moments and turns them into lessons. I don't have all the answers behind Murrayville's closing, but I do know that we can learn from that experience. -Trev

No comments: